I wrote a method to compile these rules using the KnowledgeBaseBeanFactory,
but the unit tests using it did not fail (i.e. did not repro the bug).  Here
is my method:

public static KnowledgeBase createKnowledgeBaseUsingBeanFactory(String path)
throws Exception {
        List<DroolsResourceAdapter> resourceAdapters = new
ArrayList<DroolsResourceAdapter>();
        KnowledgeBaseBeanFactory factory = new KnowledgeBaseBeanFactory();
        if (path.endsWith(".drl")) {
                resourceAdapters.add(new DroolsResourceAdapter(path,
ResourceType.DRL));
        } else if (path.endsWith(".xls")) {
                DecisionTableConfiguration dtconf =
KnowledgeBuilderFactory.newDecisionTableConfiguration();
                dtconf.setInputType(DecisionTableInputType.XLS);
                resourceAdapters.add(new DroolsResourceAdapter(path,
ResourceType.DTABLE,
dtconf));
        } else {
                throw new IllegalArgumentException("unknown knowledge base type
for path
'" + path + "'");
        }
        factory.setResources(resourceAdapters);
        factory.afterPropertiesSet();
        return (KnowledgeBase) factory.getObject();
}

These rules started life as an Excel spreadsheet.  I have tried compiling
the spreadsheet to DRL (using DecisionTableFactory) and also, as I said
above, compiling it to PKG format, and all three versions of these rules
exhibit the problem behavior (I thought the pkg format worked, but for my QA
testers the pkg file exhibited the bug: it did not load properly at server
start time (via Spring) but did load correctly on hot deploy (via Change
Scanner).

Short of completely starting over with the spreadsheet I don't know what
else to try.  I did scan the DRL for non-printable characters, in case Excel
was creating something strange, but the only "invisible" characters I saw
were CRLF and Tabs, which are normal in DRL.

I'll attach the DRL version of the rules here in case anyone can spot
something questionable with it.

http://drools.46999.n3.nabble.com/file/n4018764/documentListTable.drl
documentListTable.drl