Wolfgang,   So in your case you were envisioning the possibility of a Takes
object that matched between a particular medication and the patient.  Actually
we are fairly close in the case of medications.

As you probably know MongoDB allows for documents.   In this case, the
patient’s document contains subdocuments.  In the case of medications, this
semantically means “as of the date of this patient document, the patient is
taking the following medicine listed by the applicable code and text
description”.

When read from the DB, you actually have a Java object Patient (or “Record”)
that has a method “medications” that returns a set of “Medication” objects.
The parent knows about the medication through the set “medications”.  I
certainly could assert each patient/ record and for each of those assert each
subdocument, inserting a key back to the parent.

So the rule would need to identify, for example, any case where a particular
had a medication object where the drug code matched a particular code or set of
codes.

Any suggestions are appreciated.  Also in the example below, is “Takes” a
function  and what does “this” refer to?

Thanks,

Ray