On 7/14/11 8:23 PM, Marijn Haverbeke wrote:
makes
me wonder if it's worth the complexity of aliasing into patterns as opposed
to having pattern matching bindings simply copy

Copying is expensive for a lot of types, sometimes even illegal. I'm
not opposed to having a syntax for copying alt matches, but I think
aliasing should remain the default.

I understand the concern about performance. I'm still concerned about the complexity though, both in terms of convincing ourselves it's sound and allowing errors to be understandable. I'm definitely not opposed to keeping the alias pass in as it stands, but I think we should continue to think about ways we can simplify it.

Patrick