----- Original Message -----

Something you said on IRC made me realize that the absolute hardest changes to
make are to structures shared by the compiler and the runtime - so much so that
we often just leave unused fields. That situation would be improved by your
proposal.

> If nothing else, we could make this a bit more automatic by having the
> runtime functions "namespaced" with some sort of prefix, like "rust4_"
> or what have you. Then when we make backwards incompatible changes, we
> literally copy the entire runtime into a new subdirectory with a new
> prefix ("rust5_"). We make changes liberally to rust5_ and delete
> rust4_ once the new snapshot is in place. (In the compiler this prefix
> would be automatically added, of course)

As a bonus, implementing this would provide an opportunity to clean up the
inconsistent runtime interface.