On 4/16/12 11:46 AM, Graydon Hoare wrote:
They're already "present" (were from the beginning) but they broke when
we shifted from rustboot (hand-rolled code generator) to rustc (LLVM).
It turns out that you have to adopt a somewhat pessimistic ABI in all
cases if your functions are to be tail-callable. There's a bug open on
this[1] that discusses in some more detail, but I think the feature is
drifting towards a decision to remove the feature altogether.

I actually disagree with this; I think that we should measure. I'm not sure that the Pascal calling convention is worse than the C calling convention in practice.

In any case, I believe we're doing sibling call optimization already.

Patrick