On 12-09-11 11:11 AM, Nathan wrote:

Wouldn't it be nice if one could answer all of these questions with
find and grep?

It would be, but even in asm that is tricky.

I don't want to propose any specific syntax changes here, I just want
to suggest this perspective in syntax design.  If rust adopted James's
suggestion, we could find|grep for "let" to see where all bindings are
declared.  That'd be quite useful in some circumstances.

It won't, sadly. We still have a macro system.

As a slight tangent: I'd like to see all of the rust compiler packaged
into a clean modular interface which is highly available (perhaps even
in std::rust for example), so that IDE / analysis tool authors have a
leg up on writing parsers, code prettifiers, etc...

Yes, this has been a design goal all along. We expect to continue to structure it with an eye to this sort of external use. And dogfooded to the extent that we write our own tools (fuzzer, rustdoc, rustc, soon-to-be rustfmt, etc.) using same.

-Graydon