On 1/6/13 9:50 AM, Lindsey Kuper wrote:
What stands in the way of doing incremental compilation?

Personally, I think our time would be better spent making it easy to break large projects up into multiple finer-grained crates. We should be able to tell cargo and/or the work-in-progress `fbuild` workalike to compile a crate and rebuild all of its dependent crates (if they were modified) in one command.

This strikes me as more reliable than incremental compilation, because crate structure enforces a DAG. What worries me with incremental compilation is that we'll do a lot of work to make it work, then we'll discover that in practice intra-crate dependencies are so intertwined that most changes result in a full rebuild anyway.

Patrick