On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 7:52 PM, Graydon Hoare <gray...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On 13-02-06 10:33 AM, Isaac Aggrey wrote:
>> I realize the Rust community is beginning to settle on the `'lt` as the
>> syntax
>> to rule them all, but is using any sort of suffix for lifetime syntax a
>> non-starter?
>
> Yeah, sorry, this horse* is dead.
>
> -Graydon
>
> (* no actual horses were harmed in the discussion of this feature)

Apologies, I've just spotted another horse whose lifetime I couldn't
quite infer, though it is probably dead:

What about just having types be uppercase and lifetimes be lowercase?
I was reading the weekly meeting, specifically the example ~'task
Reader, when I thought "why not just ~task Reader -- oh, right,
lifetimes need the sigil", which lead me to the present horse. Unless
my memory has been corrupted, in every example I've seen so far,
probably not by conscious design but also not by accident, the types
have been uppercase and the lifetimes lowercase. Why not codify it? I
don't know if there are serious philosophical agreements about the
idea of case being significant. But in any case, it would eliminate a
lot of punctuation, and I think code would be a lot more pleasant to
look at.

...I was wrong, types are not all uppercase, the primitive ones like
bool, int, etc. are not. That probably doesn't help the prognosis. But
if lifetime parameters need to be explicitly introduced, maybe it
doesn't lead to actual ambiguity? If it was introduced as a parameter
then lowercase -> lifetime, uppercase -> type, otherwise if it's a
predefined lifetime name -> it's a lifetime, otherwise -> it's a type.
But maybe that wouldn't play well with the future-idea of labelling
blocks with lifetimes. Or the primitive type names could be special
cased, but I guess that's not appealing. Iunno.

Sorry again for bringing this up after the matter's already been decided.

--
Your ship was destroyed in a monadic eruption.