On 13-03-01 08:37 AM, Tim Ford wrote:
> The OCaml-on-Xen OpenMirage (http://openmirage.org/) project is very
> interesting to me.  The idea is that your OCaml application is compiled
> directly into a bootable Xen microkernel image.  Rather than running
> inside an OS, your OCaml links to a "libOS", a library that provides all
> the OS services in terms of Xen hypercalls.
>
> What are your thoughts regarding whether the same could be accomplished
> with Rust?  You'd have to reimplement the Rust runtime and many OS
> services, though perhaps the work done for OpenMirage could be of some
> help there.
>
> It seems like Rust would be a great language for this.

Seems plausible, but we're a ways still from the runtime functions
(memory, scheduling and IO) being pluggable enough to make this easy. I
expect it'll be easier to experiment when the current scheduler rewrite
finishes, as it's designed to support swapping out at least the event
loop (IO and scheduling).

-Graydon