On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 9:24 AM, Eddy Cizeron <eddycize...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/4/16 Brandon Mintern <bran...@mintern.net>
>
>> I agree with you completely, Matthieu, but that's not the kind of thing I
>> had in mind. Consider a LinkedList implementation. Its nodes and their
>> pointers would be private to the LinkedList, but when implementing an
>> Iterator for that list, you would need to use that private information to
>> avoid n^2 performance.
>>

> That's a typical case I had in mind.

I am not sure.

Whilst the head of the list will be private to the list, there is no reason
that the *node type* be private. Expose the node, built iterators that take
a reference to a node in their constructor, and have the list build the
begin/end iterators (I guess). All iterations can be done safely...

Of course, it does mean that you have an issue whenever you wish to "erase"
an item by passing its position (unless you use unsafe code to make the
reference mutable again).

But that is, I think, a wrong example. Iterators are unsafe. You can easily
keep dangling iterators aside and having them blow up in your hands.

On the other, if we shunt external iterators and implement iteration with a
"foreach" method accepting a predicate, then we do not need to expose the
list internals. Give the predicate the ability to "influence" the list it
is running on (returning an enum "Stop/Remove/...") and you are on.

I am not saying that there is absolutely no reason it will ever be needed,
but I am challenging the needs exposed so far :)

-- Matthieu