Since there are no encoding support in Rust beyond utf-8/16, I've been
toying around with str<->[u8] codec generation using the
specifications from unicode.org (inspired by the cpython
implementation) as my first learning-Rust project.

I'm now at the point where I can successfully generate a charmaps and
use them to decode and encode strings; the source, horrible as it may
be, is available at https://github.com/haard/rust-codecs.

Since I've solved the problem I set out to do (for a given value of
'solve'), I wonder if an approach like this is anything that would be
interesting to include in std-that-will-be-named-something-else? If
that is the case I'd be happy to clean up, make it less slow, and take
directions on what a Rust API should look like. Otherwise, I'll just
find something else to look at =)

/fredrik

--
/f