On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Gábor Lehel <illiss...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Am I way off base with this? An embarrassing misconception? To summarize my
> train of thought
>
>  * Catchable exceptions can be implemented
>  * But we don't want to, because it would force everyone to think about
> exception safety
>  * That could however be avoided with appropriate restrictions
>  * Rust's type system already gives us the tools to impose those
> restrictions, as evidenced by them being imposed on `try()`
>  * Therefore it should be possible to have much of the benefit of catchable
> exceptions, without their drawbacks

The cost of spawning a task with try over a theoretical optimized
exception handling scheme will only be the small stack segment it
needs to allocate (likely cached). The scheduler will switch to it
immediately, and if it doesn't do I/O there won't be a switch back
until it's done.

I think someone will need to demonstrate a performance issue with the
completed scheduler before providing a special case in the language
will seem like a serious suggestion.