On 13-07-18 12:16 PM, Lindsey Kuper wrote:
On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Corey Richardson <co...@octayn.net> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Steve Adams <sadam...@woh.rr.com> wrote:
Quite possible.  The machine in question has just 1Gb.  It's booted up to
just a text shell to keep as much memory open as possible.

Although I built it on a CruchBang system on the same class machine (same
memory, disk and CPU) and it works fine -- but it takes hours there as well
(could still be a memory issue).

The build needs 1.6GiB all to itself. Swapping is going to be
reallllly slow (as you've experienced).

Yep, that's going to take hours and hours.  The recommendation these
days is to have 2.5 GiB RAM available for the build process alone.

https://github.com/mozilla/rust/wiki/Note-getting-started-developing-Rust#memory-usage

Yeah. This is not a forever thing, but at this point we tend to use too much memory (and generate too much code).

-Graydon