On 7/29/13 4:29 PM, Wojciech Miłkowski wrote:
Hi,

I'm observing rust development for some time, and I must say it slowly
encourages me to use it. Especially the progress from Perl-like syntax
to more sane and quiet form is enjoyable.
That said I wonder why the function definition has form:
fn name(var: type, ...) -> return_type {...}
instead of more unified:
fn name(var: type, ...): return_type {...}

Is it constructed to mimic mathematical form f(x)->y or is there other
reason i.e. syntax ambiguity?

Personal preference of Graydon, I believe. This is one of the few decisions that has survived from Rust 0.1 :)

I slightly prefer `:` to `->` but never enough to bring it up.

Patrick