Windows only has 1 shell and it works with other products eg C# and Java so
i think this is a bug ..

The command shell  ( and windows itself) supports Unicode but it must be
usc2 not utf8 , the stack overflow response is not correct as it asumes
Unicode = utf8.
So if you convert to utf16  ( or even better USC2) which should be done on
any windows runtime to be compliant  it should be ok.

As i said C# and java output is ( mostly) correct but they use utf-16 which
is close to USC2 . USC2 cant display a few newer Chinese characters.

Ben