On 11/29/13 10:26 AM, comex wrote:
On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Daniel Micay <danielmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
A minimal program definitely doesn't compile more slowly than `clang`:

Well, I said it was mostly unrelated. :)

Importing the std crate is responsible for the overhead, but if the C
program can bring in basic library functions in the time it takes Rust
to bring in nothing, it's still faster.

...but according to Instruments, almost 70% of the compilation time
for an empty non-#[no_std] crate is being spent inside
flate::inflate_bytes (93ms).  If that's accurate, it doesn't sound too
hard to fix, if it matters to anyone.  Compilation time for more
substantial crates is more interesting, of course, but I do like the
instantaneous feeling of compiling small C utilities.

Yeah, we need to rework the representation of metadata. I'd also like to try switching to Snappy at some point (or just not compressing).

Patrick