Hi Oliver,

Glad you're liking Rust so far :)

Currently traits can only have methods (functions that have a self
parameter) and associated functions (functions without a self parameter).
There's a proposal to add inheritance on structs to Rust, which would allow
a trait to extend a struct and gain access to its fields.
This (very) long mailing list
thread<https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/rust-dev/2013-November/006465.html>is
the most recent discussion I'm aware of. There are a couple ideas in
there about how to get similar behavior using just existing Rust constructs
(I'm still biased towards the solution I gave in there).

I'm not aware of any plans for a rust-users forum. Maybe spinning a
rust-users mailing list off from rust-dev would make sense? We already did
a similar thing with our IRC channels.

Eric