Sorry, I didn't mean ignore errors as in unsafe, I meant that it allows the
programmer to write code without having the error case be explicit. This is
the (well, one of the) problems with null pointers in C and Java.

You make a good point about errors from the API, and I guess this
highlights a worthwhile difference between expected None (e.g., a fn which
returns the age of a user, but the user could leave the field unspecified)
and an exceptional None (the same method fails to connect to the database).
It is perhaps worth having different mechanisms to deal with the two cases.

Cheers, Nick