@daniel,
the GHC haskell IR predates LLVM, and theres actually some pretty nice
examples of LLVM doing AMAZING optimization of bit fiddling haskell code
(in fact, for any performance ratio, i can manufacture a natural bit
fiddlign example where ghc -fllvm is that much better than ghc -fasm for
bit fiddling code currently).

Mind you this only happens in bit fiddling code where LLVM can basically
cancel out the composition of long sequences of bit fiddling of the form
mortonShuffle . inverseMortonShuffle . mortonShuffle .
inverseMortonShuffle, llvm is able to take the GHC IR  and algebraically
turn it into a No Op function.

That said, I definitely think theres ways LLVM can improve support for
langs that aren't C, and I've certainly gotten the impression LLVM devs are
open to contributions that leave everyone better off.