This sounds very promising. Like Gaetan, I believe that a central package database is a critical piece of infrastructure for the Rust community. I haven't made any effort in this direction yet because our packaging tool isn't ready, but I fully encourage people to work on this. The rust issue is https://github.com/mozilla/rust/issues/10041.