Hi Bill,
If I understand this right, what you are proposing is the approach of
Python's greenlets library, which I already tried to pitch
here<http://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/rust-dev/2013-November/006544.html>.

I think that the biggest problem with this approach, in its' raw form, is
that greenlets are bound to a specific OS thread, which would cause all
sorts of headache.  For example:
- It would be difficult to balance greenlet tasks between several OS
threads,
- If async I/O requests for two greenlets, bound to the same OS thread,
were to complete simultaneously, you would not be able to resume them in
parallel,
- If a thread were to become blocked for a significant amount of time, all
the greenlets bound to it become un-resumable,
and so on...

Greelets would be much more palatable if their stacks were
position-independent.  This might be possible to achieve with a suitable
LLVM
transform<http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2014-January/069662.html>,
though I am not yet sure how portable this would be.

cheers,
Vadim