On 31/01/14 23:03, Tony Arcieri wrote:
Can anyone point to a real-world example of a dependency resolver which can produce solutions which may-or-may-not contain multiple versions of the same library?

This would be counterproductive. If a library cannot be upgraded to 1.9, or even 2.2, because some app REQUIRES 1.4, then that causes SERIOUS, SECURITY issues.

The ONLY realistic way I can see to solve this, is to have all higher version numbers of the same package be backwards compatible, and have incompatible packages be DIFFERENT packages, as I mentioned before.

Really, there is a contract here: an API contract. To break compatibility is to break that contract. This is a bug, and shouldn't happen. If you want to make something incompatible, you simply shouldn't call it the same name as the thing it's incompatible with. No more than you should sell a knife as a bottle-opener. They do not fulfill the same contract, and to say they do is false advertising.

--
Lee