FWIW, C# requires that you mark overridable functions *virtual*, the
opposite of Java where you need to mark un-overridable functions *final*.
The Scala community is coming to the same conclusion that unrestricted
overriding is pretty dangerous. It's similar to monkey patching, with all
the convenience and danger it provides.