On 27 Mar 2014, at 22:17, Steve Klabnik <st...@steveklabnik.com> wrote:

>> Why isn't there a compiler flag like 'noboundscheck' which would disable all
>> bounds checking for vectors? It would make it easier to have those language
>> performance benchmarks (which people are bound to make with no bounds
>> checking in C++ at least) be more apples-to-apples comparisons. Also,
>> knowing there's a flag in case you need one would put performance-critical
>> people's mind
>
> A flag that removes safety is pretty antithical to the goals of the
> language, IMHO.

Yes, I agree it's not the official Rust way of things. But not providing the
option seems quite totalitarian. An example use case might be a company that
runs its code on 100,000 servers, and has do so for many years without a
hiccup. They realize they could save millions of dollars a year in electricity
bill by disabling bounds checking, and that's what they decide to do. At this
point they would really like to have that compiler flag.