Lee Braiden wrote:
> I'm sure it's more complicated than that, technically, but if it's MUCH
> more technically complicated, then the compiler probably has design issues.

To defend rustc's honor: rustc has no such design issues.

1. Open src/librustc/middle/trans/expr.rs in the editor.
2. Search for "fn trans_index".
3. Put if around bounds check emission.

Hope this help in case you want to maintain a fork of rustc. Actually,
I think people who want no bounds checking option totally should maintain
such a fork. Since change is tiny, it should be easy to keep up-to-date.

> At the moment, though, it seems like this is being **politically**
> complicated, when it should be up to users.

Of course it is. This is a language policy issue. You seem to use the word
"politically" as if it is a bad thing.