Tommi (cc'ing rust-dev)-

I recommend you make a small fake github repository of your own, and learn the
github workflow directly by forking that (perhaps with a separate fresh dummy
github user account).

I am not being facetious; I did a lot of that when I was first getting my
bearings using github (as well as git itself).

Of course, learning methodologies that worked for me may not work for everyone
else, but that's my two cents.

Cheers,
-Felix