On 16/05/14 12:10 AM, Tommi wrote:
> I was just wondering, why do we have to explicitly specify the lifetimes of
> references returned from functions? Couldn't the compiler figure those
> lifetimes out by itself by analyzing the code in the function?

Type inference is local to functions, so it couldn't do that. It would
be impossible to have libraries if inference needed to be global across
the entire program, and the errors would be *signicantly* harder to
understand as they would span across countless functions.

The named lifetimes draw a boundary where your intuition is checked, and
the errors end up comprehensible by a mere human like myself.