Hi,

On 05/22/2014 04:32 PM, Michael Woerister wrote:
Lately I've been thinking that it might be nice if one could omit the
lifetimes from the list of generic parameters, as in:

fn foo<T>(x: &'a T, y: &'b MyStruct) -> (&'b int, &'a uint)

instead of

fn foo<'a, 'b, T>(x: &'a T, y: &'b MyStruct) -> (&'b int, &'a uint)

I have got this idea when I was reading http://smallcultfollowing.com/babysteps/blog/2013/11/04/intermingled-parameter-lists/ .

It should be possible to omit lifetime parameters if there are late-bound as specified in the mentioned article. The early-bound ones can't be omitted. Still, it would be nice.

I have this feeling, that parameters not used for monomorphization could and should be omitted. And late-bound lifetime parameters are not used.

Jan

-Michael