FYI: I did a RFC for separating mut and "only" some times ago:
https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/pull/78#

I invite the interested readers to check it out and read the comments
(notably those by thestinger, aka Daniel Micay on this list).

For now, my understanding was that proposals on the topic were suspended
until the dev team manages to clear its plate of several big projects (such
as DST), especially as thestinger had a proposal to change the way lambda
captures are modeled so it no longer requires a "&uniq" (only accessible to
the compiler).

-- Matthieu