So far I knew that `ref` could be used in `let` and `match`
expressions. But I just tried using it for a function's parameter to
see what happens and it actually compiled! :)

    fn foo(ref p: int) -> int {
        *p + 1
    }

    fn main() {
        let x = 1729i;
        let y = foo(x);
        println!("{}",y);
    }

What I was wondering then was: What is the type of foo and what does
it mean for how the parameter is passed exactly?

After adding

        let bar: fn(int)->int = foo;

to the main function, I realized that the reference called p probably
refers to a function-local temporary int. A part of me hoped for p
referring to main's x thus saving a copy/move. But in that case, the
function's type would have to be different, right?

So, for a brief moment I thought that Rust already supports
auto-referencing for non-self parameters just like C++ does for "const
T&". The reason I'm mentioning this is that I noticed an RFC PR for a
feature like this.

So, what do you think about what kind of semantic you want for such a
function? Should its p refer to main's x in this case? Should its type
be fn(ref:int)->int which would be ABI-compatible with fn(&T)->int?
Due to ABI compatibility one could even be allowed to convert one
function pointer to another:

   let f = foo; // fn(ref:int)->int with auto-referencing
   let g = f as fn(&int)->int; // no auto-referencing anymore

The parameter "type" ref:T could be useful for getting rid of some
explicit borrows one would otherwise need at the invocation site:

    fn show_vec(ref v: Vec<int>) {...}

    fn main() {
        let x = vec!(1,2,3i);
        show_vec(x);
    }

Comments? Opinions? Maybe this could be useful. And maybe this is a
bad idea. I don't know. What I *don't* like about it is that "ref:T"
is not really a type and this could compose badly in generic code.

Cheers!
sg