On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 6:19 AM, Gábor Lehel <glaebho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, this is a good step, as is delaying taking actions by a day as
> proposed in the meeting itself.
>

> If you have any suggestions for how this regular email or the process in
>> general could be improved, please let us know.
>

> Most fundamentally, what I'm wondering is, why do most of the things
> discussed at the meetings need to be discussed separately in the first
> place?
>
> Why not have those discussions directly in the comments for the respective
> RFC PRs? Up to and including leaving comments like "we suggest closing
> this, because {justification}, unless someone convinces us otherwise", "we
> suggest merging this because {justification}", and so on. In an ideal
> world, the meetings could merely ratify the decisions which were already
> evident from the PR discussions themselves. This could also help avoid
> situations where the two discussions end up disjoint in some way, e.g.
> according to this week's meeting notes @pcwalton and @aturon essentially
> recapitulated the exact same debate about the lifetime elision "self rule"
> at the meeting which @aturon and I had previously gone through in the PR
> comments.
>

> From the proposed-for-discussion list:
>

> https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/pull/122 - Syntax sugar for
>> prefix-style type parameter lists - ben0x539
>>     Sugary syntax for putting a group of type parameters and their bounds
>> before a group of functions. Motivation is our often unwieldly lists of
>> type parameters.
>>     Not much feedback, but mostly positive. Generally for the motivation,
>> rather than the solution.
>>     Recommend close in deference to RFC 135 (where clauses) which solve
>> the motivating problem here, along with other issues.
>>

> The two are complementary, not substitutive. 122 allows factoring out type
> parameter lists for multiple declarations. 135 allows writing them
> differently.
>
> Please comment on the RFCs rather than replying to the mailing list. I'll
make a note of this, but in the general case, I guarantee that  replies to
the mailing list will get lost or forgotten. I agree the two RFCs are not
substitutive and could both be accepted, but they do both tackle the same
problem (ugly type param lists).

> From the meeting itself, because it concerns process:
>

>>    - nrc: Do we want to keep this open? It's the <> to [] changes.
>>    - acrichto: It's so new, I don't think we should close it.
>>    - nrc: Even so, if we're not going to do it, I don't think we should
>>    keep it open.
>>
>> I don't see what could have been gained by closing it. Potential
> scenarios if it's left open:
>
>  (1) Participants end up convincing each other than the change is not
> worth doing. (This is what ended up happening in this case.)
>  (2) Contrary to expectations, a consensus emerges in favor of the change.
> Maybe there is some factor that hadn't been taken into account previously,
> or the arguments of one side end up convincing the other. I think this
> might be useful information to have learned. Then you can evaluate the
> decision on the merits.
>
> Whereas if it's closed early:
>
>  (3) People are left with the opinions they already had, and now might
> also have the impression that Mozilla has heavy-handedly shut down the
> debate.
>
> I mean, possibly leave a comment like "Just so you know, we are extremely
> unlikely to do this, but feel free to keep discussing", but I think that
> was clear to everyone at the outset. I just don't see what could have been
> gained by preventing the discussion from playing itself out.
>
> We will (at some point) have a separate discussion on the policy, as was
briefly touched upon in the meeting we decided it was a policy question and
we shouldn't do anything in this case.

My motivation for early closure of some RFCs is to be honest - I don't want
to waste people's time, energy, or emotional investment arguing about it if
they have the (false) impression that it might change. As you suggest
leaving a comment and leaving the RFC open is probably a better way to do
this (although you can still comment on a closed PR, so I'm not sure there
is really much difference, other than whether the RFC shows up in the list
of open PRs). Another reason is simply that I don't like to see pointless
arguing, and I feel that on RFCs like this which come down to taste, it
really is arguing and not discussion. I think the Rust community would be a
better place without it. Of course, I could just ignore the GitHub spam,
but I would rather the arguing just doesn't happen. FWIW, your point 1 is
very valid and probably outweighs my points, just saying that there are
other disadvantages. The chance of 2 happening in a case like this seems so
small that I wouldn't worry about it.

Cheers, Nick

Cheers,