Doing this is a goal, but we're going to need a complete strategy - let's please not start doing this too hastily. Maintaining crates out of tree is not easy, and we need to have the systems in place that will let us succeed (particularly around integration). acrichto will need to be involved because he's the most familiar with all the systems this will touch.