>> Oh my, I'm allowed to start an RFC?
>
> Certainly! RFC does stand for "request for comments" after all.

Looks like someone beat me to it! :-)
https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/pull/385

I'll definitely stop by the IRC channel(s) when I get a chance.  I'm
also hoping to attend the next Seattle Rust meetup this Monday, if
time allows.

> The syntax was pioneered before the RFC process was in effect, so it
> may not have an official grammar, but it looks something like:
>
>     expr := 'box' expr | 'box' '(' expr ')' expr
>
> The first form is "rewritten" as `box(::std::owned::HEAP) expr` and
> the second form (the more general) specifies that the second
> expression should be placed into the first.

Hmm.  So in 'box(RC) expr', RC is an allocator?  I must be
misunderstanding something, because I don't see how it knows from
that:
a) That it should create an Rc
b) How to work with and initialize the Rc struct properly

Perhaps this discussion belongs elsewhere, though.  It sounds like
discuss would be most appropriate for this?  And perhaps that way the
design will be documented there via my silly questions. :-)

> Note, however, that the `box(foo) bar` form is not implemented today,
> so you may hit some surprises if you try to use it!

Indeed!  I gathered that from your first response, but thank you for clarifying.

> Nowadays we tend to prefer discuss/reddit more for inquiries such as
> this. I'd probably post on the reddit for general commands and
> questions and bring more design-discussion-y questions
> discuss.rust-lang.org instead.

Will do!  And thanks again for taking the time to respond to me so thoughtfully!

--Nathan