This is sound- you aren't actually making more than one mutable reference here.

Stepping through the operations in your example:
1. i is a mutable pointer to an immutable memory location
2. Pass a pointer to i into `bar`, which can mutate `i`.
3. Deref that pointer so you have a copy of `i`, which still points to
an immutable memory location.

If you try to assign through `i` in `bar`, you'll quickly see that the
compiler won't let you. Here's an example in the playpen [1] which
fails to compile with "cannot assign to immutable dereference of
`&`-pointer".

If you were doing this in C, the difference between `let bar = &mut
foo` and `let mut bar: &T = &mut foo` is equivalent to the difference
between `const *` and `const *const`. The former can be changed to
point somewhere else, but neither of them allows writing into the
pointed-to memory. The real trick here is that when we specify the
type of `bar` as `&T` we opt out of mutability- if you remove the type
from that assignment, it's inferred to be `&mut T`.

[1] http://is.gd/FqaGiL

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 10:26 AM, grayfox <gray...@outerhaven.de> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm really new to Rust (actually I've looked on Rust the last 5 hours the
> first time) but I think I produced something that shouldn't be possible. From
> the pointer guide I know that the following code will not compile because in
> the end I would have two mutable pointers to the same address:
>
> let x = 5i;
> let y = &x;
> let z = &x;
>
> But in the following snippet I end up with two mutable pointer tmp and *i
> which point both to the same address:
>
> fn bar<'a>(i: &mut &'a int) {
>     let mut tmp = *i;
>     println!("{} {}", *tmp, **i);
> }
>
> fn foo<'a>() {
>     let mut i: &int = &mut 5;
>     bar(&mut i);
> }
>
> fn main() {
>     foo();
> }
>
> Maybe I don't understand the concept of the Rust memory concept enough but if
> I understand everything correct so far this shouldn't compile but it does
> actually.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> grayfox

Peter Marheine