Seconding the arguments of others arguing *for* a mailing list.

On 29.12.2014 22:02, Kevin Cantu wrote:
> It had gotten pretty clear that having a catch-all mailing list wasn't
> going to scale.

Python also uses mailing lists as the primary communication medium. The
main three lists are: python-dev (for developers, discussing the advance
of the language), python-ideas (for anyone, suggesting and discussing
ideas which the devs might take into account) and python-list (for
anyone, discussing about any python-specific issue). Of these, only
python-list is *very* high traffic with very diverse topics.
python-ideas is also high traffic but only with a few topics going on at
a given time. This makes it easy to mentally filter and follow what
happens. Same goes for python-dev, but it generally has less traffic
than python-ideas.

For several topics there exist sublists (e.g. the C++ special interest
group), which are generally very low to medium traffic.

I cannot see why rust would not be able to follow this approach, too,
but instead suggesting people to use $website [1]. *That* is not going
to scale, for the individuals. It is trivial to track several projects
using a well-configured mailbox or mail client, but polling N websites
every M minutes (for varying values of M) is quite cumbersome.

I say that having tested the discourse mail interface for a few days
now. I find it much harder to read than a well-behaved mailing list. It
is basically 100% top-posting without threading. Very uncomfortable to
read and follow.

But who am I to complain. I am merely interested in a new upcoming
language and have not much to contribute.

regards,
jwi

   [1]: Not to mention that that website requires unauthentictaed
        JavaScript from third party servers for log in.