On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 01:50:12PM -0500, John <gray...@archlinux.us> wrote:
> Greetings Marc.  Is there a way to start a new urxvt window minimized?
>  I found nothing of relevance googling nor in the man page.

Well, first you'd have to define what you mean with "minmized", which is,
in the end, something your window manager does and not urxvt, and most X11
window managers don't have a minized state.

You can start urxvt in iconified state with -iconic, which might do what you
want.

You can also start it in withdrawn state using -dockapp, which might do what
you want as well, or with other window managers.

> urxvt --geometry 100x30 -title 'build script' -e bash -c
> "MAKEFLAGS=-j$THREADS nice -19 makechrootpkg -c -u -r $CHROOTPATH64"
> 2>/dev/null

You could try moving it off-screen e..g with something like -geometry
100x30+-10000, but again, it depends on your wm.

There might also be a way to do it with ewmh hints, but, of course, this
again depends on how your wm implements things.

In the end, urxvt can only request a few things from your wm, but where and
how windows are opened and placed is up to your window manager to decide. For
example, in fvwm2, you could add something like this in your .fvwm2rc and use
a custom class (but fvwm2 also supports iconified states out of the box):

   Style "go_away" StartIconic

and then:

   urxvt -name go_away ...

      ----==-- _       generation