Thanks Marcel.

I compiled it myself but when I tested, the official Raspbian version has the
same behavior. As I said, Xterm does too.

I forgot to include

    $ urxvt -h
    rxvt-unicode (urxvt) v9.22 - released: 2016-01-23
perl,xft,styles,combining,iso14755,unicode3,encodings=eu+vn+jp+jp-ext+kr+zh+zh-ext,transparent,tint,pixbuf,XIM,frills,selectionscrolling,wheel,slipwheel,cursorBlink,pointerBlank,scrollbars=plain+rxvt+NeXT+xterm

There are probably some options there I should turn off but I don't think any
of them relate to buffering the window contents.