On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 3:46 PM, Yiwen Shen <ys2...@columbia.edu> wrote:

> If I just do add_flow(..) by itself the flows will get added properly
onto the switch, but if I do multiprocessing it doesn't appear. However,
multiprocessing is the only way I know to do this stuff in parallel. (I've
tried multithreading, and the flows do get added but because of GIL, it
isn't truly happening in parallel).

What are you ultimately testing, the controller or the switch?  If you are
optimizing, what is the performance benchmark you are trying to reach?

If you are testing the ability of a switch to process multiple simultaneous
OpenFlow messages, you should use two separate connections to the switch.
Perhaps by running two ryu processes listening on different ports.

If you are testing the controller, be aware that ryu has one connection to
the switch and isn't designed to share it between processes. (Even if it is
possible to share the connection, you may still run into atomicity issues
where openflow message bytes get interleaved.) If you tried multithreading
in a single process and that worked for you, that's probably the best you
can expect.