It turns out that using on-main-loop-tick to check whether it is time to renew the auth token doesn't cover the case where you spend a long time writing a message in the external editor. You come back from the editor to find that imap has timed out and there is no open folder.

Since I have defined an account for logging in with oauth, I should be able to give the command
account oauth
to reconnect. However, I find that I have to issue the command twice. The first time, I just get a message that there is no open folder.

Is there some way of trapping the imap disconnection error to trigger a new 'account oauth'? I see code snippets involving 'trap' in the man page, but no entry for it in the list of commands.

Stephen Isard