Dear David:
My Shell tank car is even more rare than yours!
I had Amato's assemble one for me in February 1990. I provided trucks and
they provided the rest.
[For the benefit of the others, Amato's, Gordon's Trains, and Ron Leventon
purchased the parts department after A.C. Gilbert shut down. These trains
were evenly split. However, as they cleaned out the building they kept
finding more caches. Vincent Amato always had a truck ready. When they
called, he went.
Among the things that were split were a large number of unassembled,
yellow, 24328 Shell tank cars. They have been selling them assembled (with
Pikemaster trucks) or as parts ever since.
My source for this story is Vincent Amato himself but his health was
very poor in 1989 when I was told this. Thus someone else will have to
verify this.]
Mine is more rare than yours. I too have knuckle coupler trucks under mine.
Only I have LIONEL / American Flyer knuckle couplers under mine. (I would
love to see an 'American Flyer archeologist' try and figure this one out!
An A.C Gilbert car that shows no signs of ever having any trucks other than
the Lionel?)
I guess my survivors will get rich too.
Thorin
Message: 24
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 22:42:03 -0800
From: "David Dewey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Truck thought, KC for PM
Jeff,
I have a few Yellow Shell cars that I assembled from parts from a "major
supplier." The parts are all ACG made, and the tanks were already printed
with their 5 digit number, but I put on late KC trucks using eyelets. I
figure someday, after I'm gone, there will be a listing for "RARE!! KC
trucked Shell cars" Only three known to exist!! " Meantime, I have some
nifty looking cars to run on the layout. Maybe my survivors can make some
bucks on them!
S'
David D.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
S-Trains list sponsor: http://www.americanflyertrains.com
All the Flyer you desire...books and accessories too!
To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list send a note to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/