I grew up (the early years!) on the Santa Fe mainline in Holbrook AZ (NE 
corner of the state). In the couple of months leading up to Christmas, 
two AF train setups appeared in Mr. Howell's electrical supply store. I 
really, REALLY wanted one, especially the larger set with two switches 
and a coaling tower. My wife framed a letter to Santa that my Mom saved 
from that year, asking only for a train with maybe even six switches!! 
However, it was the smaller of the two sets showed up (with a 312 loco) 
under the Christmas tree. I was still thrilled, and the smell of the 
smoke and the image of the train coming at me from under the 
Grandmother's grand piano is as firmly imprinted in my memory as those 
big steam hogs roaring through town with as many as 100 cars, rattling 
our windows as they went!! BTW, I even have a couple of pictures we took 
of GM's streamlined vista-domed Train of Tomorrow when it made a brief 
stop in Holbrook. Those were great days!!  Jim Armstrong



S-Trains list sponsor: http://www.americanflyertrains.com
All the Flyer you desire...books and accessories too!

To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list send a note to [EMAIL PROTECTED] 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 


Reply via email to