Chris Zizzo wrote:
 
>I had high hopes for these K-Line cars. I like K-Line's approach to 
>the hobby and I think they make some great stuff.

Me too, on both counts. That's why I resorted to converting a few K-
Line (and Marx) plastic items some years ago.


>Fancy paint jobs aside, these boxcars are not an S product. They are 
>not even a 3/16ths. scale product. They are eight inch 027 cars with 
>S-trucks, like the Lionel horsecar. 

Those observations are consistent with what I see in the catalogue 
pix. Durn it, I wonder why K-Line didn't simply use the Marx tooling 
that IS 3/16th" scale. Could that tooling be beyond repair? Could it 
be that it was easier to simply bang out a few thousand more 0-27 
shells and slap S trucks on them, rather than dusting off more old 
molds? Were opening doors so important? Is a puzzlement...


>This was simply an opportunity for K-Line to open a new market for 
>the products generated with 50 year old, fully amortized tooling 
>while taking advantage of a need in the S-market place for basic and 
>inexpensive rolling stock. 

Could be, and by doing such, K-Line would be taking a cue from 
Lionel's past practices with Flyonel S gauge (except for 
the "inexpensive" part.) It's ironic that K-Line would be doing so 
just as Lionel seems to be "waking up to S" as some have put it.


>Unfortunately, this product does not fill any need.

Well, it doesn't fit MY needs, from what I've seen so far. But I 
already have all the K-Line/Marx plastic I want via conversions of my 
own. 

Still, There are some wanting rugged stuff for kids. I only hope the 
price structure doesn't backfire against S, with folks 
thinking, "Shoot, I can get the same car in 0-27 for half what it 
costs in S. Why go with S?" Comparisons like that could taint the 
very "S feedback" that K-Line is trying to get.


>I will take a pass on the ungainly boxes. 

Heh, apparently Chris is as sensitive about boxcar proportions as I 
am about highway trailer proportions. ;^) ;^) ;^D But I too will pass 
on the boxcars for the same reason. Already have 3 triple-dome tanks 
on good ol'e Gilbert sintered-iron trucks. Don't need any more.


Chuck F.



S-Trains list sponsor: http://www.americanflyertrains.com
All the Flyer you desire...books and accessories too!

To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list send a note to [EMAIL PROTECTED] 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 


Reply via email to