S-Gaugers,
 
Warning! - This posting is a little long, but I tried to be as
informative as possible to get educated feedback.
As usual, any input, opinions, experience, or suggestions (even flames
and jokes) on the following topics would be welcome.
 
Topic: This posting has to deal with
*        A Gilbert American Flyer store display set
*        Questions on how to ship such a set
*        How Gilbert originally shipped, assembled and stored such store
display sets
*        If its not feasible, then best way to market such a set
*        URL pictures to the display set to educate responders
 
History:
At my parents house in Rochester NY is a1957 AF Christmas store display
set that my father bought on Christmas Eve of that year from a downtown
department store (Sibley's).  I restored it to operable condition in the
mid 70's and then headed off to college, graduated and settled out of
NYS.  Currently, I am in Texas (DFW for last 11 years) for most of my
career.
 
"Moving on up...going to a deluxe apartment in the sky...":
My parents are seniors that are going to change their lifestyle by
moving to easier living in an apartment tower and therefore are planning
to sell their house.  The train set is in a very nice attic scenario at
their long time residence and is used by my father to occasionally
entertain his grandchildren.  We had it under lock and key, and most
grandchildren live outside his hometown, so he would operate it with
them on their occasional visits.
 
The problem:
He does not plan to take the set with him when he down sizes his
dwelling and has offered it to me since I restored it years ago, have
kept it running during infrequent holiday visits and have a hobby
interest in collecting toy trains that developed out of years of playing
with the set as a child.
 
Questions:
Have any of you ever shipped or know of anyone who has shipped a train
set like this across country?
Are there special folks who move such things or is it just major movers
such as Allied or Atlas that you would use?
 
I wonder how Gilbert shipped these things to department stores to
display for Christmas.
Did the stores set up and store these display sets or did the sales
reps?
What was done with the sets in off-season or if they didn't sell?
 
I do know he told me he offered the store half price at 3:00 PM
Christmas eve day - if they would deliver it that day.  They delivered
it at 6:00 PM and he finished setting it up that Christmas eve.  So, I
have to believe that the store was not motivated to store the set in the
off season or did it go back to Gilbert?
 
The set splits in half (bolted), has removable legs and has the
following dimensions: 4.5' X 9'
Of course the equipment on the set (including the tunnel) can be taken
off, boxed and shipped separately.
The track would be left on the top since it is secure to the board
plywood board.
 
I am even considering removing the set sides (nailed on) to just ship
the plywood set top with track.
The original sides or new ones could be put back on when the set is
re-set up.
I'm not sure if there any unforeseen issues with such an approach.(?)
 
I currently don't have the room to operate it (it would stay stored for
awhile).  I'm in a situation whereby I wouldn't have room for about a
few more years.  I think we've all been there at one time or another -
no cellars and no finished stand up attics in Texas!
 
If logistically moving it, the cost of moving it is too much or my
current lack of space situation to store it or run it is not feasible,
we will also contemplating selling it.  If that is what it unfortunately
comes down too - What would be the most effective way to market such a
set?  I don't think a moving garage sale is the way to go... but I don't
know.
 
I'm going up during spring break in early March to discuss alternatives
for the set with my father.
 
Pictures:
Our friend Paul Yorke and the S-Scalers let me use their photo galley
at:
http://66.246.35.207/~pyorke/albums/view_album.php?set_albumName=album80
See the album named Gilbert AF Store Display Set
 
Direct Look:
Pick the right door to see the Gilbert Flyer Store display Set - One,
two or three:        :>)
http://66.246.35.207/~pyorke/albums/albums/album80/01_G.jpg
 
http://66.246.35.207/~pyorke/albums/albums/album80/02_G.jpg
http://66.246.35.207/~pyorke/albums/albums/album80/03_G.jpg
<http://66.246.35.207/~pyorke/albums/albums/album80/01_G.jpg> 
http://66.246.35.207/~pyorke/albums/albums/album80/04_G.jpg
<http://66.246.35.207/~pyorke/albums/albums/album80/01_G.jpg> 
http://66.246.35.207/~pyorke/albums/albums/album80/05_G.jpg
<http://66.246.35.207/~pyorke/albums/albums/album80/01_G.jpg> 
http://66.246.35.207/~pyorke/albums/albums/album80/06_G.jpg
<http://66.246.35.207/~pyorke/albums/albums/album80/01_G.jpg> 
http://66.246.35.207/~pyorke/albums/albums/album80/07_G.jpg
<http://66.246.35.207/~pyorke/albums/albums/album80/01_G.jpg> 
http://66.246.35.207/~pyorke/albums/albums/album80/08_G.jpg
<http://66.246.35.207/~pyorke/albums/albums/album80/01_G.jpg> 
http://66.246.35.207/~pyorke/albums/albums/album80/09_G.jpg
<http://66.246.35.207/~pyorke/albums/albums/album80/01_G.jpg> 
http://66.246.35.207/~pyorke/albums/albums/album80/10_G.jpg
 
As usual, any input, opinions, experience, or suggestions on the above
topics would be welcome.
 
Thank You,
Scott Dee


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


S-Trains list sponsor: http://www.americanflyertrains.com
All the Flyer you desire...books and accessories too!

To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list send a note to [EMAIL PROTECTED] 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 


Reply via email to