Warren Daly <invisibleagentreco...@gmail.com> writes:
> If you unmount the S3 drive correctly and cleanly, and
> Metadata-Upload-Thread finishes. Where is the metadata stored on the
> backend?

In the "s3ql_metadata" object.

> (e.g can you see it using #s3qladm download-metadata)

In S3QL 1.12, no. It shows only the backups. In recent S3QL versions,
yes. For example (with S3QL 2.8.1):

$ s3qladm download-metadata s3://foobrazl
The following backups are available:
 No  Name                    Date
  0  s3ql_metadata           2014-06-20 08:24:15
  1  s3ql_metadata_bak_0     2014-06-18 16:46:16
  2  s3ql_metadata_bak_1     2014-06-17 21:46:44
[...]

> Is there a working metadata folder on the backend *and* the backups seen by
> using #s3qladm download-metadata ? (is there 2 location for metadata on the
> backend?)

I don't understand the question. S3QL backends don't have a folders,
they are simple key-value stores.

> If the S3 drive is not umounted cleanly and the Metadata-Upload-Thread does
> not upload the metadata. What is best copy of metadata to use
> A) the remote backup seen in #s3qladm download-metadata? (but why use this
> if the last metadata upload was not successful?)
> B) the local metadata files?
> C) another location (I am not aware of)?

The local metadata, C.

Best,
-Nikolaus