On Jan 15, 2014, at 00:34 , Danilo Pinto da Silva <danilob...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your prompt reply.
>
> In general I am talking about Garbage Collection of PEs.
> Removing PE objects based on the available system memory and the impact the
> object may have on the overall performance of the system.
> But I have some doubts, in terms of:
>
> How are PEs located?
> ( All PEs stay in a cache managed by LoadingCache object or in another
> place and only the most used are in the cache? )

PEs are held in a cache with a TTL. You may hook into that to persist them by
checkpointing upon eviction.
And you can replace the cache implementation and use something like a
multilevel cache, keeping hot PEs locally and others in memcached or something
like that.

> How are PEs controled?
> ( Are they just defined in setPECache()? )

I don't get the question.

> What relation about the simple garbage collection process (or others) and
> the java garbage collection?

You can implement caches with weak/soft references. Eviction policy would
probably be different than with TTL-based caches.

> And again,
> Does anybody tried to implement it?
> Is it a relevant feature for S4?
> Is it possible?

It can be useful and certainly possible. I would say it depends on the use
case, and in particular, on the size of PEs, and the number of instances. You
should try to find the bottlenecks there (most optimizations in S4 have been on
serialization, parallelism and communication, not really on the cache
implementation).

Have a look at the guava cache implementation for a start, you can find some
related presentations as well.

Hope this helps,

Matthieu