http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/1TwplB/TM

[Received on 30 May 2004]

AN APPEAL
FROM THE PEOPLE OF SOUTHERN TAMIL NADU AND KERALA

We, the people of southern Tamil Nadu and Kerala would like to bring
your kind attention to the great dangers the Koodankulam nuclear
power plant will pose to our health, safety, our children's
well-being, to our natural resources, and to our overall environment.

We, the people of Kanyakumari, Tirunelveli and Thoothukudi districts
of Tamil Nadu, have been demanding the Department of Atomic Energy
(DAE) and the Government of India to respect our Right to Information
and to release the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), the Site
Evaluation Study, and the Safety Analysis Report that are claimed to
have been done for the Koodankulam Nuclear Power Project back in
1988. Even though these studies are now outdated and many changes
have been brought about in the project, we have the right to know
what the government and the Indian nuclear establishment really
argue. Even more worrying is the fact that the Tamil Nadu Pollution
Control Board has been sidestepped by the DAE in getting proper
permission for setting up the Koodankulam project. And the mandatory
Public Hearing has not been conducted to this day.

We have been demanding further that the DAE and the Government of
India respect the Right to Life and Livelihood of the farmers,
fisherfolk and others of southern Tamil Nadu and Kerala and cancel
the Koodankulam project that will jeopardize the soil, water and air
of southern India and the health and well-being of the people there
who already have a high incidence of cancer and other natural
radiation-related illnesses. The discharge of hot water with
radioactive pollutants into the sea will increase the temperature of
the seawater and damage the health of the fish and the people who eat
that fish.  Our fishermen will lose their livelihood and sink further
into poverty and misery.  And the already malnourished farming
families will stand to suffer even more.

Moreover, the southern tip is also seismically vulnerable and has had
quite a few small tremors.  There have also been minor volcanic
eruptions in Tirunelveli district.  Cyclones, huge monsoon
thunderstorms, unrelenting sea erosion, and increasing global warming
can also prove to be potential dangers.

Inadvertent human-errors and deliberate human-made disasters pose
additional threats.  Terrorism has become an unfortunate part of our
daily reality with the proliferation of extremist outfits and violent
communal groups around the country. The so-called 'war on terrorism'
alienates people even more and drives them to desperate acts.

In case of an accident or an attack on the Koodankulam nuclear
reactors and the inevitable nuclear radiation, people who live
directly south of Koodankulam will be literally trapped inside a big
nuclear contamination cage.  Caught between the rough and deep sea
and the source of deadly contamination, the people of Kanyakumari
would be convoluting inside their death cell.

Fleeing westward into Kerala would not help us much because there is
no natural barrier that could guarantee against the spread of nuclear
contamination.  In fact, the Western Ghats mountain range recedes
considerably towards its southern end with few lofty summits or
groups of high hills.  Geographers and meteorologists agree that the
West Coast of the peninsula has the dampest and most uniform climate
throughout the year.  It is open to the westerly winds from the
ocean, and is shielded from the desiccating winds of the Deccan
plateau by the Western Ghats.

The recent Supreme Court judgment that information relating to
nuclear installations in India could not be made public in the
national interest is very disconcerting to us. This only shows that
the authorities are in reality not willing to distinguish between the
so-called peaceful use of nuclear energy and military purposes. This
outrageous Supreme Court decision reinforces the anti-people and
anti-democratic tendencies of the DAE.

In its typical authoritarian manner, the DAE keeps on increasing the
number of reactors at Koodankulam from two to six. They are also
planning a reprocessing plant there. Keeping the civil and political
societies in the dark, the DAE is acting with no transparency and
accountability whatsoever. They even threaten their opponents with
the Atomic Energy Act of 1962.  All this is done under the cover of
the Official Secrecy Act.

The Koodankulam nuclear power plant coupled with the sand mining
operations of the Indian Rare Earths Limited and other private
parties on our shores is threatening our fisherfolk's lives and
livelihood. Our agricultural land, our water resources, our air, and
our food chain are all going to be contaminated by the additional
burden of radiation that will emerge from the Koodankulam nuclear
power plants.

We, the people of the southern tip of India, demand that the DAE and
the Government of India respect the Right to Life and Livelihood of
our farmers, fisherfolks and others of southern Tamil Nadu and Kerala
and cancel the Koodankulam project forthwith.

We earnestly hope that you would voice your concern about our safety
and security, press the government to focus on renewable sources of
energy such as solar power and wind power, and regain the status of
our country as a world leader in sustainable development and
appropriate technology.  We thank you for your understanding and
support.

May 28, 2004

Dr. S. P. Udayakumar
People's Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE)
42/27 Esankai ManiVeethy
Parakkai Road Junction
Nagercoil 629 002, Tamil Nadu
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

_________________________________

SOUTH ASIANS AGAINST NUKES (SAAN):
An informal information platform for
activists and scholars concerned about
Nuclearisation in South Asia.
SAAN Web site URL:
www.s-asians-against-nukes.org

South Asians Against Nukes Mailing List:

To subscribe send a blank message to:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

necessarily reflect the views of SAAN compilers

SOUTH ASIANS AGAINST NUKES (SAAN):
An informal information platform for activists &amp;amp; scholars concerned about the
dangers of Nuclearisation in South Asia

SAAN Mailing List:
To subscribe send a blank message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]