Jerome Lefebvre wrote:

> Bizarre error reporting with symmetric functions;

> | Sage Version 4.1, Release Date: 2009-07-09                         |
> | Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information.        |
> sage: H = SymmetricFunctionAlgebra(QQ, basis='homogeneous')
> sage: f = H(0)
> sage: print f
> 0
> sage: g = f.expand(3, alphabet=['x_1','x_2','x_3'])
>
> This then gives me;

<Boom>

> If it's not implemented, why such a round about error message?
>
> Also, shouldn't H([0]) work to give 1? and H([-1]) work to give me
> zero? I.e. H([0]) is the sum of all the monomials of degree 0, i.e. 1.
> I'm using Harris and Fulton's Representation theory a first course as
> a guide for theses things.

Dear Jerome,

You are completely correct that this should work.  Thank you for
reporting it. Sage currently uses the 'Symmetrica' library for these
sorts of calculations, and we've discovered that it often has problems
with 'zero' functions.  We've fixed some of these bugs, but clearly not
all of them.  I've created a ticket for what you reported at

http://sagetrac.org/sage_trac/ticket/6665

A closely related ticket is at

http://sagetrac.org/sage_trac/ticket/6487

Cheers,