> ----- Forwarded message from Marc van Leeuwen
> <marc.van-leeu...@math.univ-poitiers.fr> -----
> Quoting Daniel Bump <b...@match.stanford.edu>:
> > William Stein has stated that LiE would not be made a
> > standard package because it is no longer supported. See:
> >
> > http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/msg/613cc5aa78c89f3d?hl=en
>
> Just for the record I should like to correct that to say it is no
> longer being developed, but it is still supported. You can address any
> bug reports to me, and I will correct them. That this hasn't happened
> for more than a decade doesn't imply that LiE is no longer working,
> rather to the contrary (and it even computes quite a bit faster than
> it used to;-). Anyone know when was the last change to the core TeX
> program?

Great. I was very much hoping for such an answer :-)

> > My belief is that this is the right decision and that the
> > functionality in LiE should be redone natively in sage.
>
> I can agree with that, if you can find someone to do it. I presume
> it is quite a it of work, but it may help that the mathematically
> relevant part is well separated from the rest, and almost completely
> done in Literate Programming.

Ok. There is no real rush, but it sounds like we should all meet at
some point to discuss the best integration-migration roadmap; on the
feature side, the adaptation of Chapter 4 of the LiE manual to Sage is
a great basis for this road map. Then, we could start with a
documented interface between LiE and Sage. Later, if there is a clear
roadmap to be followed, one can plan that the Sage developers involved
in the root system stuff will progressively integrate/port the
material on a need-driven basis.

David: would you by any chance be interested in taking over the
maintenance of the LiE package for Sage, and integrate there your
Cython interface? As far as I can tell, the current minimal version
was created a while ago by William and Michael. It should not be that
much work, especially with Marc's support in case of technical issue
with LiE. Feel free to ask for more details about Sage packages, but
you can start with:

 - http://www.sagemath.org/doc/developer/producing_spkgs.html
 - http://sagemath.org/packages/optional/lie-2.2.2.p3.spkg

Best regards,