Can you clarify this a bit?

Obviously, there's a difference between the product of matrices of
permutations and the matrix of the product of permutations. That is, they
are 'reversed.' But, multiplication in the matrices is not the same
operation as the one imposed on the elements from a group. For example, take
a group acting on [2,4,6] and one acting on [1,3,5] in Sage, then create the
corresponding 6x6 matrices for their elements. You can of course multiply
matrices from the even group with the odd group... but this has absolutely
nothing to do with the multiplicative structure of either group. So, my gut
instinct is that the methods for going from a permutation or a permutation
group element to a matrix should be identical. (Afterall, permgroup elements
and matrices themselves have no multiplicative structure... this is
something given by the group that contains them. We're not translating the
group structure, only the permutation structure.) Is that what you're
asking?

Jason