On Sep 1, 1:37 am, Bruce <brucewestb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Can you compile sage from scratch?
>
> Yes. I have a Linux machine and John Cremona installed sage 4.5.2
> 2010-08-05 for me from scratch.

Great.

To install the patch, download it by going to

Click on the patch trac_9838.patch which will bring
it up. Go to the bottom of the page and click original_format to
download it.

Now you have a copy of the patch locally. Go to your sage
root directory, which I will call $SAGE_ROOT and issue the
following commands:

cd devel
sage -b main
sage -clone 9838

This will create a clone of sage called sage-9838.

Now you will need mercurial installed. For example if you have
Ubuntu you can run

sudo apt-get install mercurial

if you do not have it already. You are in the directory
$SAGE_ROOT/devel.

cd sage-9838
hg import [path to trac_9838.patch]
sage -b

When this is done, you have a patched version of sage. You
can switch back and forth between the old version sage-main and
sage-9838 using

sage -b main
sage -b 9838

When you load sage you should see this:

sage: R.<q> = ZZ[]
sage: KG2 = WeylCharacterRing("G2", base_ring = R, style="coroots")
sage: KG2(q)
q*G2(0,0)
sage: chi=(q+1)*KG2(1,0)
sage: chi^2
(q^2+2*q+1)*G2(0,0) + (q^2+2*q+1)*G2(1,0) + (q^2+2*q+1)*G2(0,1) +
(q^2+2*q+1)*G2(2,0)

Dan